Why Don't We Do It Together?
The July 23rd Forum brought together a group of groups to talk about the variety of ways people form and manage collective endeavors. Represented where:
- Center for Tactical Magic - an art and politics based collective
- Ideological Liberation Working Group - a working group of Occupy focused on the production of propaganda
- Hayes Valley Farm - an urban agriculture culture project
- Occupy the Farm - an occupation of threatened agricultural space in Albany
- Space Transformers - a group focused on sharing, transformation, and communal living
Each group explained their purpose, how they work, and some of the challenges they faced in organizing themselves.
There was a wide range of different styles of organization among the groups. Even those, like two farms, had divergent ways of thinking about their projects and about the issues of membership and the processes of decision making. From the discussion, it seemed that perhaps there was no perfect way to make groups, but that it was important, none the less, to consider how it's done as part of the work of working together.